To avoid infections and maintain a proper physical & mental wellbeing, it is essential that women maintain basic hygiene practices. Here are some recommendations for maintaining proper feminine hygiene:
- Use warm water to wash your vulva and vagina every day. Vagina does not need to be washed with soap or other products to stay clean. In fact, using harsh soaps can disrupt the natural balance of bacteria and pH in the vagina, leading to irritation and infections. Clean the vulva (the external genital area) with warm water and mild soap and rinse thoroughly. Use mild soaps instead of scented or harsh ones because these can cause irritation in the sensitive areas. Thoroughly rinse, then pat dry with a fresh towel.
- Regularly change your pads or tampons. To stop bacteria from growing and causing infections, it’s crucial to change them every 4-6 hours.
- Wear breathable, moisture-wicking and clean underwear. Cotton is a smart choice since it ensures airflow and keeps the area dry.
- Avoid douching and using scented products on the vulva and vagina. These products can disrupt the natural balance of bacteria and pH in the vagina, leading to irritation and infections.
- Wipe from front to back after using the toilet. This helps to prevent bacteria from the anus from spreading to the vulva and vagina.
- Practice safe sex by using condoms and other barriers to prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet, stay hydrated, and exercise regularly to maintain good overall health.
By maintaining these simple hygiene practices, you can keep your vulva and vagina healthy and prevent infections. If you have any concerns about your hygiene or experience any unusual symptoms, it is important to consult a healthcare provider for an evaluation and appropriate treatment.